[PLUG] Java, Jikes, and Linux

Travis Spencer travislspencer at gmail.com
Mon May 23 07:14:50 UTC 2005

On 5/22/05, Jason Van Cleve <jason at vancleve.com> wrote:
> The main reason is, I save a little time that way every time I compile a
> source file (and jikes will output errors in "Emacs format", which
> allows my IDE to jump to the line and column of each error).  In other
> words, jikes makes me more productive while coding.

Like Jason, it is these reasons that make me think that jikes is a
better compiler.  What is the problem with it?  It isn't made by Sun?
So, Eclipse isn't made by Sun.  Do you use that?  Ant isn't made by
Sun.  Do you use that?  Those don't count  because they aren't
compilers.  Do you use AspectJ or some other compiler for aspect
orientated programming?  Having to use only Sun's compiler simply
because it is Sun's seems silly to me.

Just my options.  Like my socks, I'll change 'em tomorrow.

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer
Portland, OR USA