[PLUG] Java, Jikes, and Linux

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon May 23 18:21:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 09:53:24PM -0700, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> So, Mr. Lofstrom, can you detail the problem you're having with jikes?
> Are you writing code specific to Java 1.5, perchance?

Not nearly that far along.  Apparently, to make jikes work, I must
set some environment variables like CLASSPATH.  I have no clue where
to point those to, though.

I have been attempting to run some simple and ancient Hello World
kinds of examples through the compilers.  javac works OK, but jikes
gives me complaints like:

   Found 1 system error:

   *** Semantic Error: You need to modify your classpath, sourcepath,
   bootclasspath, and/or extdirs setup. Jikes could not find package
   "java.lang" in:
                   .
So yes, I need to set those paths.  A tutorial or howto that tells
me *where* to point them, or how to figure that out, would be handy.
It is stupid to have to ask when it should be documented somewhere.

Keith