[PLUG] Java, Jikes, and Linux - solved

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue May 24 03:30:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:25:18PM -0700, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> Quoth Keith Lofstrom, on Mon, 23 May 2005 11:21:12 -0700:
>
> Ah, okay, this is an easy one.  Jikes just needs to know where to find
> the core java library, which is probably "$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/rt.jar".
> Here's a safer option:  write yourself a wrapper script for invoking
> jikes, that sets the classpath beforehand or passes it to jikes as an
> option (an alias would also work).

Thanks!  Now jikes works. I wrote /usr/local/bin/jikes:

  #!/bin/bash
  JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05
  RTJAR=$JAVA_HOME/lib/rt.jar
  /usr/bin/jikes -classpath $RTJAR  $@

Now it compiles simple programs just like javac.

I won't be doing a lot of Java coding, just enough to learn how to
read what others write and test it out, so the choice of javac or
jikes is not critical.   However, I will have other people doing
most of the coding, and I will strongly encourage portable coding
methods.  The code they write should use the least common denominator,
and compile with either javac or jikes.

Keith