[PLUG] lightweight linux?

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Thu May 26 22:49:12 UTC 2005

>From: john morgali <aarghj at yahoo.com>
> Anyone know what distro would be a good, lightweight
> distro with a gui interface, to set up a fileserver
> with on pentium 1 or pentium 2 class pc hardware?
> doesnt need major crunch power, just needs to spin a
> raid array and feed network data quickly for a home
> office.

Is the GUI friendliness crucial for you? Debian is an *excellent*
candidate for this sort of installation, but is very low on the
friendliness quotient. Notably Debian can be trimmed down to a very small
number of required packages, Debian packages tend to work, and you don't
need to do distribution release upgrades very often.

>From: "Rich Burroughs" <rich at paranoid.org>
> One distro that is pretty cool is Gentoo -- they make it pretty easy to
> build a system with binaries that are compiled for your processor.

I must disagree here. On the above class of hardware the gains will be
minimal (or negative!), while it will take forever to build.