[PLUG] Losing Command Of My Terminal

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sat May 28 20:46:12 UTC 2005

>From: Jason Van Cleve <jason at vancleve.com>
> Quoth Stafford A. Rau, on Fri, 27 May 2005 14:02:08 -0700:
>
> > When that happens, just type ~. in the hung terminal window. You won't
>
> Cool, thanks.  I'll have to just etch that one into my brain.

Three notes on this. The tilde must follow a newline. Not generally a
problem, as most of the time you're only interested in one of the tilde
commands after having pressed enter, but something to be aware of.
Second, there are a couple other tilde commands, notably ~? lists them
and gives quick usage information on all of them. Finally, tilde escapes
itself, if actually need to type a tilde after a newline, you need to
type tilde twice.

Personally I dislike using ~. as it points to something on the other end
thinking you're still active. Most likely this would mean something on a
tunneled connection is active.