[PLUG] Re: More Hewlett-Packard Weirditude

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sat May 28 20:54:51 UTC 2005

>From: John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
> Robert A Munro wrote:
>  > Notebooks are just tools, not fashion accessories. If you want a
>  > really cool fashion statement, get an iBook (or whatever Apple's
>  > selling now). After all, Linus has an Apple desktop system, so it's
>  > gotta be so cool. But I'm just kidding. An iBook might be hard to
>  > get working with Linux.
>
> Actually, I think don't think Apples are particularly attractive.
> Rounded corners are so last millennium. And I don't want my whole life
> in white. The only way to use an Apple properly is in a sterile white
> room, at a desk with a white tablecloth and a rosebud in a vase. Plus,
> they're horribly expensive if you want one with some horespower.

Depends on how much horsepower you need. Remember, they're using PPC
which doesn't need the high clock speed of the Pentiums to get a heck of
a lot done, though I do understand that PPC might actually be a problem
for you. They also place emphasis on getting pretty good battery life,
which tends to mean a slower processor that uses less power. If you look
they're fairly competitive on price with PC laptops. No worse than Sony
at least.

The only issue would be the graphics chips. As with the PC world, taking
full advantage of the modern graphics chips requires a bit of software
from either ATi or nVIDIA, and I don't believe they're supporting
Linux-PPC. Making partial use, and merely getting 2D acceleration should
be easy though.