[PLUG] Grub with a new kernel

Michael D. Harris michael.harrisdmd at comcast.net
Sun May 29 16:39:01 UTC 2005

Hello all,

   I decided to try a 2.6.11 kernel on my Debian Sarge distribution.  I went
through the steps outlined in Carla's "Linux Cookbook".  There was one
problem in that I don't have QT so I couldn't use xconfig or something like
that.  Anyway, I ended up using a configuration tool and compiled the kernel.
Now I am trying to load it to my boot loader (GRUB), which I have done.  When
I booted I got a kernel panic.  I can not remember exactly what it said at
this moment, but it had something to do with adding a proper 'root'
reference.  So, here is the edited part of my grub menu.lst file.  Which root
needs to be changed?  Or how do I figure out which one to change?  I am
assuming there is no initrd.img for this kernel.

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.26-1-386
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro
	initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.26-1-386

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.26-1-386 (recovery mode)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro single
	initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.26-1-386

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11-michael
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-michael root=/dev/hda1 ro

Thanks for your help as always.
--
Michael D. Harris, D.M.D.
Linux Enthusiast