[PLUG] smbmount Queestion continued

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 31 23:08:31 UTC 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# William A Morita
# on Tuesday 31 May 2005 03:35 pm:

>//server/datashare  /share smbfs   username=guest,rw  0 0
>
>smbmount //server/datashare /share rw -o guest

nit:  -o username=guest makes the above two equivelant

>While this does mount the volume, the result is that non-root accounts
> do not have read/write access.

The trouble with samba is that it is designed to be mounted and used by
one user per system (e.g. as is the case in some single-user OS.)
Thus, the user that mounts the share will own everything on it, and the
username that it is mounted as will own everything that you create
while it's mounted.

I always mount my samba shares under my home directory.  If you want
multiple users using a samba share, either you need to mount multiple
times (preferred), or chmod 777 everything on the share (or do
something fun with groups.)

--Eric
--
"Everything goes wrong all at once."