[PLUG] smbmount Queestion continued

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue May 31 23:10:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005, William A Morita wrote:

> Group,
>
> I have put into /etc/fstab the line:
>
> //server/datashare  /share smbfs   username=guest,rw  0 0
>
> While this does mount the volume, the result is that non-root accounts do
> not have read/write access.

What are the permissions on /share?  Who are the user and group? What are
the permissions of //server/datashare on the Windows system?  Is there a
guest id ( with no password ) on the Windows system?

So after all those questions I'll supply some settings that ahve worked
for me ( YMMV ).

in /etc/fstab

//server/datashare /mount/point smbfs credentials=/etc/samba/datashare,port=44

in /etc/samba/datashare

username=joeblow
password=xyzzy

/mount/point is joeblow:joeblow ug=rwx

The documentation indicates you may be able to set the group on
/mount/point to "users" and put all your users in that group and add an
option the gid=users to the fstab entry.

Rod