[PLUG] debian packages question

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Thu Nov 3 06:50:50 UTC 2005

Hmm, seems I got behind on things.

>From: Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org>
> And unless you already have a special affinity for Sendmail, I implore
> you to use Exim (Debian's default MTA) or Postfix (another popular
> MTA).  It's much easier to configure them.

I'd strongly advise avoiding Exim. Given how good the packaging is I'm
disgusted that Debian continues to use Exim as the default. I doubt
Postfix is any more difficult with the packaging that has been done.
Though Exim /might/ be easier to setup, it most definitely isn't easier
to maintain. Notably Exim tends to requires security updates every 2-3
months, Sendmail and Postfix need updates around once a year.

Heck, with the packaging even Qmail isn't too bad to deal with.

>From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>
> Now there's some flame bait. :-) Just to let you know that not
> everyone thinks as Aaron does, the first thing I do on Debian systems
> is ditch exim for sendmail. Unless you have a very vanilla setup,
> configuring either one takes homework.

I agree. Even for pretty simple setups I have to imagine Postfix doesn't
need significantly more work than Exim. I cannot be certain though as I
haven't fought Postfix.