[PLUG] Comcast & Dealing with Unsolicited e-mail

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 21:47:48 UTC 2005

A few days ago I commented on e-mail I was getting with no subject, no
sender, and no body text. The rate kept rising to the point where
yesterday I was getting several every hour. I logged onto the Comcast
e-mail system on the web and re-read what is offered for spam
protection, hoping for a black list. Alas, there is none. Plus, their
white list is an exclusive one: if you use it, you will only get e-mail
from senders on the list. I asked them about it through their web site
and got this as part of the reply:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your suggestion on how
to improve our service with the popular suggestion of a "black list"
type of mail filter. Yes other subscribers have also requested it and it
is a popular request. We may have that feature with our mail in the
future, but we did not have a time of if or when it could become
available. I have forwarded your suggestion to the appropriate
management team for further review and action. We appreciate your
interest in making the Comcast High Speed Internet the best online
experience possible.

I have been forwarding junk e-mail to missed-spam at comcast.net but it
doesn't seem to have helped. If anything, the more I send them, the more
junk mail I get!

One of the annoyances related to sending junk to missed-spam is having
to do so one message at a time. So yesterday, I tried something
different. I shut down T-bird for a few hours. Then, I logged onto the
Comcast web mail system, checked all the above described junk mail (no
subject...) and clicked on the "Report as Spam" button. I haven't gotten
any of that kind of junk mail since. Maybe it's a coincidence, since
they were doing some work on the e-mail system yesterday, but I'm a
happier camper, today. We'll see how long that lasts.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints available at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/