[PLUG] Has anyone written an open source viewer for Trimet schedules?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Nov 4 02:16:04 UTC 2005

I plan to use the bus this weekend, and saw that Trimet has data
files for a proprietary PDA viewer.  Of course, you have to get
past a click-Agree-no-reverse-engineering EULA to get at the
data files, which are at:

http://www.secondkiss.com/trimet/download/palm_os/TriMet.zip
       (for palm .pdb files)

and

http://www.secondkiss.com/trimet/download/windows_mobile/TriMet.zip
       (for windoze CE .sgd files, allegedly using .NET somehow)

Now be good and remember to go to the EULA page first.  It would be
most unfortunate if you somehow found the data files above without
agreeing to the EULA and giving up your rights just so you can access
public information.  Please do not be sneaky and find the appropriate
links by reading the page source rather than clicking Agree...

All that said, it would be handy to read this information with
something besides a PDA.  Are there open source viewers that can
read these files, perhaps translating them into a spreadsheet
format, or front-ending for other processes?  The .pdb format looks
easy to take apart, and the .sgd files are supposedly Compact .NET .
Seems like just the thing for an ambitious under-employed code
hacker...

Of course, once the tool was ready for demo, we could go straight to
Trimet and ask for this information in binary form, bypassing the
secondkiss website.  In particular, I imagine TriMet can construct
tables for all 60 or so stops on a typical bus line, allowing
people to build more fine-grained and usable open source apps,
and we could make use of that data.

Keith