[PLUG] Linux Desktop - Time to make the change

David Tod Sigafoos dsig at sigafoos.org
Fri Nov 4 04:30:08 UTC 2005

Russ,

RJ> David Tod Sigafoos wrote:

>>then it is linux's fault <G> (the kernel that is) I should be able to
>>take any distro and install without any problems .. Fedora 4 loads
>>with no problems .. SUSE stops. So if they are using the same kernel
>>it should work .. right.  Nope .. there is the probing sw there is the
>>install sw that uses the probing sw .. and on it goes.
>>

RJ> Ah, but there's a subtle difference here.

RJ> They are all using the same kernel. So they all CAN use the same
RJ> hardware. The difference being how the distribution chooses to compile
RJ> the kernel.

RJ> If the distibution chooses to not include a section of code, that's the
RJ> distibutions decision (and fault), not the kernels.

<g> .. it's like talking to a lawyer .. <g>

>>Now you may ask why it stops and get out your propeller and try to
>>figure it out .. but i gave all that up years ago.  I want it to load.
>>work and let me work.  Every hour spent trying to get it to work is an
>>hour of non-billable time.
>>

RJ> I agree. As long as the installer (created by the distribution, not the
RJ> kernel maintainer) doesn't support your hardware, you have a problem.
RJ> This is a problem by your choice, but it's still a problem.

This is a problem by my choice.  It was suggested that I try debian.
Not to use fedora (that worked) so .. i tried it.  Me bad <G>

RJ> I also realize that as long as computers don't work like toasters, there
RJ> will be hardware that takes work to get to use. This is true even in the
RJ> Windows world.

yeah .. i can understand .. those damn windows people who deliver
products that don't have to be compiled or up to the user to try to
find bits to make work .. oh what are they thinking .. those bastards
<G>

RJ> As I was commenting to someone just the other day...

RJ> There are those computer users that like to insert a CD, click 'Next' as
RJ> fast as they can, as many times as needed, and it just works. Those are
RJ> the same people that like Windows, and deal with instability as a result.

<g> and as I like to say .. the arrogance of Linux people is only
surpassed by those who create systems that the user has to search for
bits to make work <G>

so .. now that we have traded jabs i will try to find someone who can
help .. thanks