[PLUG] Tuning Netgear VFS-318

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 7 17:14:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Jason R. Martin wrote:

> Can you check the interface statistics on one of your systems to see if you
> are getting any Ethernet errors? Meaning run traffic for a while and then
> check ifconfig and ethtool -S. Perhaps your system or the switch are
> causing errors. You could also try a different cable(s).

Jason,

   On my main workstation/server I see no errors from ifconfig. ethtool shows:

[root at salmo ~]# ethtool -S eth0
NIC statistics:
      early_rx: 0
      tx_buf_mapped: 0
      tx_timeouts: 0
      rx_lost_in_ring: 0

   On the other workstation ifconfig shows 1 RX packet error and ethtool
reports no stats available.

   The notebook also shows no stats available.

   I copied (via scp) security upgrades from the server to the other two
hosts. The files were moving to the other workstation at about 46KB/s and to
the notebook at about 48KB/s. These are much slower than previous.

> Do you have another small switch you could try temporarily to verify it is
> the router?

   This evening I'll dig one out of storage in the garage and give it a try.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"