[PLUG] Tuning Netgear VFS-318

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 7 20:52:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Jason R. Martin wrote:

> Do you have another small switch you could try temporarily to verify it is
> the router?

Jason,

   I went spelunking in one of the storage boxes in the garage and came up
with a LinkSys 4-port switch. I put two workstations and a notebook on that
switch, then connected it to the Netgear multi-box.

   Re-copying a bunch of security upgrades from the main workstation/server to
the other workstation reached speeds of 1.7MB/s, up from the 46KB/s of the
Netgear alone. So, it must be the FVS318.

   Fortunately, the Netgear is under warranty until July 2009. Unfortunately,
this is the second defective FVS318 in succession. The first one worked fine
as an internal switch, but would not connect to the DSL bridge. When my http
download speeds are double the internal file copies it's not a Good Thing.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"