[PLUG] Web Access Problems

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 9 16:59:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, AthlonRob wrote:

> If you've narrowed the problem down to an inability to resolve domain
> names, I would start figuring out what link in your DNS chain is down. The
> possible culprits include your local configuration on your computer, any
> local DNS services (like the local "dnscache"), and your ISP's DNS servers.

Rob,

   The inability to resolve domain names is what privoxy reports.

> What happens when you skip dnscache?

   Haven't tried it.

> What happens if you try a different set of DNS servers?

   Did not rearrange /etc/resolv.conf to try the others.

> What to DNS tools such as "dig" tell you about your ability to resolve
> things at various levels?

   Dig, host, whois all work fine.

   Today access came back quickly. It's not a critical issue but an annoying
one that I'd like to understand if I can. I doubt it's anything here and
wonder if this is a common occurrence.

Thanks,

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"