[PLUG] Very Strange Problems With Two Apps

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Nov 13 19:16:37 UTC 2005

   I have problems with two applications (well, one now as I've switched from
one to the other) that no one else can replicate. It is quite frustrating and
I've no idea how to isolate the cause.

   Both applications create GUIs in python. The one I had been using (wxGlade)
is a designer and I was not able to enter label values in lists (such as
wx.RadioBox, wx.ListBox, and the like). This used to work but no longer does.
After a couple of days of not getting anything done, I switched to Boa
Constructor which is a full IDE (apparently modeled on Delphi, but I never
used that so I take the author's word for it). So far, I like Boa better than
Spe.

   Anyway, in Boa I created a wx.Dialog and entered title text. But, now I
cannot select the text in the Designer frame. When I do select it (from the
object tab in the Inspector window) and try to move it, the handles disappear
as soon as I left click within the box. I also cannot select multiple
attributes; trying to select a second one (holding the shift key while left
clicking on a different attribute) replaces the original one with the new
one.

   No other application I run under X exhibits this recalcitrant behavior.
Others have no problems running the same versions. I'm using Slackware-10.2
with the 2.4.31 kernel, 1G RAM, and Xfce-4.2.1 so the problem should not be
related to too little memory or an old kernel or desktop manager.

   Any thoughts?

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"