[PLUG] Resolved: Undelete with Samba

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 22:23:33 UTC 2005

David Fetter wrote:

> Newer versions of samba support some of the windows vfs object
> specifications.  I used the following within the smb.conf for a client
> to achieve a recyclebin function so that things aren't directly deleted
> just as is normal operations under a windows desktop.

Thanks. This looks like it could be a useful tool. Will it work with
Samba version 2.0.7? The machine in question is running RH 7.0. I tried
using new versions of Linux, but since it is only a 200 MHz machine, and
I use it to drive the stereo in the living room, I had to go back to RH
7.0 due to "latency" problems (at least that's what I think it's called
-- it produces sound with skips and jitters).

> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 13:41 -0800, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

>>Using Windows Explorer on Win98SE, I've just deleted a recent (in other
>>words, not backed up) file from a Samba shared directory on an EXT-2
>>file system.
<...>
>>... [I] have started following the instructions at:
>>
>>http://www.linux.com/howtos/Ext2fs-Undeletion-4.shtml

I succeeded in recovering the file. It was only one block big, so I was
able to use the dump command in debugfs to write out a copy of it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints available at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/