[PLUG] Sticky bits...

Randy Voshell rvoshell at touchstonetech.com
Tue Nov 15 02:29:09 UTC 2005

The "1" in 1777 is the sticky bit... so called because of its antiquated
use in causing executable files to "stick" in swap space.  Linux
apparently ignores the sticky bit set on files.

When the sticky bit is set on a (shared) directory, the files within the
directory can only be renamed or deleted by the file owner, the
directory owner, or root.  Obviously, the term "sticky bit" comes from
the older use of the bit.

The execute permission for world is coded as T when the sticky bit is
set, and as t when both the sticky and executable is set.

============
Randy Voshell
http://www.touchstonetech.com
LPIC/MasterCNI/CDE/CLP/CLE/MCSE/MCT
>>> plug_0 at robinson-west.com 11/13/05 11:47 AM >>>
chmod 1777 /var/mqueue

I think I had to do this to get my mailer working.  What's the 1 all
about?

Why doesn't ls -l show all permissions if there are special sticky bits?
Is there a command that will show these bits?

     --  Michael C. Robinson