[PLUG] device and inode number to filename?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 21:14:54 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to reach into the depths of a
filesystem and pull out every filename which is linked to a given inode
without walking the tree.

I've found some references to an "ncheck" command (that maybe was on
HPUX?)  So maybe no way to find the source.  It sounded like debugfs -R
"ncheck <number>" <device> was going to do the trick, but it only
prints the name of the first file (and continues to do so even when
only other links (or even no links) remain.)

I realize that it might not be possible to do this in a fs-agnostic way,
but having never written my own filesystem, I might just need to get
knocked with a cluestick (e.g. there is no indexed inode table?)  That,
or maybe someone could tell me the secret code (er, jargon) that
unlocks the google easter-egg for this level.

Thanks,
Eric
--
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
--The Napolean-Clarke Law