[PLUG] dansguardian and K12LTSP

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Nov 18 05:45:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> At our last user meeting ( North Idaho Linux User Group - nilug.org ) we tried
> to get dansguardian working with a k12ltsp server and thin clients.

First, you probably want to ask K12LTSP questions on the K12LTSP list...

> We would prefer having it all happen on the server without dealing with
> configuring firefox and locking it down for each user.

Second, you can't have both thin clients and transparent proxying
on the same server. You need to keep the two functions seperate. [1]

http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/WebFiltering%3AIntegration

> Lots of searches and reading turned up conflicting information; from using
> ipchains ( verses iptables ) to "it should work out of the box." None of them
> worked.

K12LTSP is setup to do transparent proxying with squidGuard, but it is
easy to adapt it to Dan's Guardian. Make sure you have the squidguard
package installed, then edit /etc/init.d/transparent-proxying and
change the two references to "--to-port 3128" to "--to-port 8080".
Then start it up...

 	/sbin/chkconfig transparent-proxying on
 	/sbin/service transparent-proxying start

-Eric

[1] technically speaking it *can* be done on a single server, but that
     requires a non-standard iptables module & significant know-how.