[PLUG] dansguardian and K12LTSP

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Nov 18 19:35:17 UTC 2005

Eric Harrison wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> At our last user meeting ( North Idaho Linux User Group - nilug.org )
>> we tried to get dansguardian working with a k12ltsp server and thin
>> clients.
>

> First, you probably want to ask K12LTSP questions on the K12LTSP list...

I was thinking it ws more a networking question that happened deal with
K12LTSP.  Still you're right.  I'll go there next time.

>> We would prefer having it all happen on the server without dealing
>> with configuring firefox and locking it down for each user.
>

> Second, you can't have both thin clients and transparent proxying
> on the same server. You need to keep the two functions seperate. [1]
>
> http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/WebFiltering%3AIntegration

Yeah,  one of the others working on this ccame up with this link also (
just before I looked at this folder. )

>> Lots of searches and reading turned up conflicting information; from
>> using ipchains ( verses iptables ) to "it should work out of the box."
>> None of them worked.
>

> K12LTSP is setup to do transparent proxying with squidGuard, but it is
> easy to adapt it to Dan's Guardian. Make sure you have the squidguard
> package installed, then edit /etc/init.d/transparent-proxying and
> change the two references to "--to-port 3128" to "--to-port 8080".
> Then start it up...
>
>     /sbin/chkconfig transparent-proxying on
>     /sbin/service transparent-proxying start

Thanks.

> -Eric
>
> [1] technically speaking it *can* be done on a single server, but that
>     requires a non-standard iptables module & significant know-how.

Must be why dansguardian ties into smoothwall so well.

Rod