[PLUG] vpn silliness

gilmanhunt at comcast.net gilmanhunt at comcast.net
Sat Nov 19 23:05:34 UTC 2005

I have an embarrassingly stupid question for y'all.

I'm writing from my inlaws' in Klamath Falls. Before I left, I had set up my linux box at home with Poptop and the netgear box with forwarding the Poptop connection. I had imagined that I would be able to connect to my server at home from my windows laptop and browse the network (map a drive and all that rot).

I know I misconfigured something, because I had to redo it with a differnet IP address, but it led me into kind of a difficult place to describe.

My routing out from the linux box at home was not working; I was on a different subnet from the netgear box (because I found that my inlaws were on the same subnet as my home subnet (192.168.0.0) and I was getting an error about 'loopback detected.' So I ssh'd in and changed the ip assignments for poptop, and I could connect.

But as soon as I did, my laptop lost its connection for ICQ and I could no longer browse the internet. Which implies to me that the laptop was sending _all_ of its internet traffic over the PPTP connection home, which is not what I wanted; I just wanted to connect like it was a network, and if I browsed for machines on a 192.168.0.x address (which I'll change to 192.168.something.else when I get home), the computer would be smart enough to send only that traffic over the vpn connection.

Reflecting on the nature of PoPToP and PPTP, I think I may have chosen the wrong vpn solution; Is there some sort of configuration thing that would help me with what I'm trying to do?

Thanks as always.
Russ (YAR!)