[PLUG] UPS Education

fh hillsboro linux at frankhunt.com
Sun Nov 20 16:17:04 UTC 2005

I made the measurements from the system power cords. My meter uses an
inductive pickup/multiplier thingie that plugs into the wall outlet and
the device to be measured then plugs into it. There is a "figure 8"
looking gizmo attached to a power cord with the inner circle of the 8
being 1x the current and the outer being 10x. The meter then clamps into
either of these "circles". I had to use the 10x scale to get any
readings since even on the 6A scale, the readings were so low. If these
readings are in a realistic range, then my math says I need a 600VA (5A
x 120V = 600 VA). Allowing for some headroom, I'm considering something
along the lines of the Minuteman PRO1100iE. It has enough capacity that
I should be able to plug in 3 or 4 systems, the monitor (I'm on a KVM),
and network components. It also has the "MINUTEMAN SentryII™" software
which supports Linux, Windoze and other OS's.