[PLUG] UPS Education

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Nov 22 06:27:03 UTC 2005

Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc> wrote:

> If my interpret my observations correctly, these high-power-draw servers
> were only actually drawing about 100-150W.  If I'm wrong, I trust
> someone who knows this stuff will disabuse me of these mistakes
> (Galen?).

Vram's explanation sounded good to me.  I'm really more of a digital
guy :-)   That said, I think your 100-150W number is reasonable.  Most
power supplies are rarely run at anything near their rated capacity.
The extra headroom is a good idea though.  Modern processors can go from
idle (<5W) to full tilt (> 50W) pretty much instantaneously.  System
power up can also tax the supply, particularly if drive spinup isn't
staggered.

galen