[PLUG] knoppix *hates* too much memory!

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Nov 26 04:27:36 UTC 2005

M> First of all, which version of Knoppix is this? If the kernel
M> config file is on there, make sure it's configured for the size of
M> RAM you have.

4.0.2CD.

CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

Top shows 2gig while it is running.  Until /proc explodes.

Russell> "I must have put premium in this baby by mistake... it hates
Russell> expensive gas!"

Russell> I've been working on a customized Knoppix CD again recently.
Russell> Since the last time I did this, I upgraded the RAM in the box
Russell> I am doing the mastering on.  I noticed some weird
Russell> instabilities, like getting cloop errors reading blocks, and
Russell> then swaths of applications not working anymore.  Very
Russell> strange.  I've done memtest86+ runs and they look okay.
Russell> Usually I can get it to flip out by doing a "dd if=/dev/hdc
Russell> of=/dev/null bs=2048", opening/closing firefox a few times,
Russell> etc.  I just restarted with the "mem=1024M" boot option and
Russell> things seem better.  I've thrashed it around some and nothing
Russell> strange has happened yet.

Russell> BTW, I had been planning on trying Ubuntu's liveCD instead,
Russell> because of some weirdness with usb-storage handling in
Russell> Knoppix, but Ubuntu, it seems, has no practical way of fixing
Russell> up video parameters.  It insisted on running X at 640x480
Russell> despite ddcprobe clearly reporting the correct (and much more
Russell> capable) sync ranges for my monitor.  The usb-storage
Russell> handling is somewhat more sane on Ubuntu, but it didn't seem
Russell> like the tradeoff was worth it (all the configuration
Russell> questions at the front end was a bit tedious too).

seniorr at aracnet.com