[PLUG] migrating to new uid/gid

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Sat Nov 26 07:52:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 20:24 -0800, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> >From: Vram <lamsokvr at xprt.net>

> > > That's really what I meant when I said recursive chown.  I'm just wondering
> > > if the numeric uid/gid is hiding in any other files.
> >

> > In general users can only own files in
> >
> > /home/user
> > /tmp/user
> >

> > Correct me if I am wrong...
>
> Dead wrong. At a minimum add /var/mail and /var/tmp. Fairly often there
> is /usr/tmp and /usr/local/tmp (fairly often linked to another tmp and
> rarely used, but folks can create files there). In the general case using
> `find` is highly recommended in order to guarentee you capture any extra
> files.

Right.. After I posted that I did a find .... And of course I have
mail... So  I have files over there...

But, when he changes /etc/passwd and /etc/group  those files will
follow the change..  This creates dead files but, that is a different
proble...

I don't have a /usr/tmp or /usr/local/tmp soo.......

I agree use find...

I still stand by my original statement...

Vram