[PLUG] Netgear Closes Support Request Without Response

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Nov 27 17:25:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> The metaproblem here is that you attempted to get a zillion features in one
> box and you did not succeed. Had the Netgear box succeeded for you, you
> would have still been faced with future re-configuration problems, the
> inability to adapt to new protocols, and probably a windows-driven upgrade
> path. So sooner or later, the VFS family would break your heart. It's
> actually a good thing that you got burned right away, before you invested
> too much of your own spirit in it.

   Actually, Keith. What I wanted was -- still is -- an effective firewall in
a small, low-power, silent case. The internal switching and connection to the
DSL bridge were bonuses. Also, the experience of PLUGgers using the same
model gave me confidence that this solution would work.

> With two units failing the same way, ...

   They didn't. The first one worked great as an internal network switch but
was deaf, dumb, and blind to the outside world. Could not connect to the 'Net
through the Fujitsu DSL bridge. This second one connects externally just
fine, is doing a highly effective job as a firewall, but crawls through
solidified treacle pushing bits around the internal network.

   My interim solution is to keep the printers and wireless router connected
to the Netgear, and connecting a LinkSys 4-port switch between that and the
wired hosts. It's ugly, and I no longer get firewall reports from the
Netgear, but it works.

> At the risk of wasting space and burning electricity on multiple boxes when
> theoretically you could get by with only one, you probably want to break
> the function up. A cheap internal multiport switch. A cheap external switch
> if needed. An old laptop running Linux for your firewall. Reduced
> expectations about stateful routing inside your secure zone. That is my
> setup, and while configuring the Linux laptop is a small annoyance, it does
> mean I am able to upgrade and add new features, and work in a familiar
> environment.

   I'm rather cramped for room, but I could put a very small box on the desk
and set it up as a firewall. I suppose that my old Toshiba Portege would do
the job if it keeps running with the cover closed and an 8-port switch and
the Fujitsu sitting on it. But, I'd also need another NIC ... a 16-bit pcmcia
card one. Seems rather inelegant and patched together, however. On the other
hand, I bought the OpenBSD book thinking that would be a very good OS for a
firewall.

   You're right about the quality of Netgear and their indifference to any one
of us as an individual customer. Since my baling wire-and-chewing-gum setup
works for now, I want to take my time and get a better solution installed.
You and the others who've contributed to this thread all have excellent
recommendations. Right now, I have two business priorities that take
precedence, but I will investigate options and I certainly appreciate that
each of you who is much more experienced than I with hardware, firmware, and
software share your knowledge and insight with me.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"