[PLUG] Open Document Standards

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Tue Nov 29 10:59:06 UTC 2005

D. Cooper Stevenson wrote:
> The Open Document format, approved by the State of Massachusettes and
> international standards consortiums, relieves the problem by providing
> an open and clearly documented standard. In effect, ODF documents are
> written using a structure that is clearly documented and free of
> copyright restrictions. A key benefit is that ODF documents may still be
> retrieved even if the vendor of the document software is unwilling or
> unable to provide a system of retrieving the information in a way that
> is compatible with new systems.

I'm all for ODF, and have started to use it in OO.o 2.0, but this
article raises some relevant concerns:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/korn/20051113

Accessibility is one of my major arguments for proper non-flash, HTML
web design.  No sense stopping the discussion at the web content level.

--
I'm just a packet pusher.