[PLUG] RAID for remote filesystems

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:20:14 UTC 2005

Since your filesystem needs to be laid on TOP of a block-level device,
you can't really do what you're looking to... the closest
approximation would be using a cluster filesystem that takes into
account some underlying fabric connecting a bunch of block devices
(Lustre, PVFS, GFS, etc)...

Though it would likely be possible to hack together a bunch of network
block devices mounted locally and do this.  I'm not sure about your
sshfs or gmailfs filesystems, I'm guessing they won't enable you to do
that however.  Perhaps if you could kludge a sparse file as a block
device (cryptoloop or somesuch) accessed OVER these and mounted
locally you could do it?  If you're accessing these over commodity
internet with so many layers of abstraction, it's unlikely to be
usable or stable however :)

/eli