[PLUG] where TF are Red Hat rpms?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Oct 7 15:23:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Matt Alexander wrote:

> Russ Johnson wrote:
> > Carla Schroder wrote:
> >
> >> I go to https://www.redhat.com/apps/download/advanced_search.html to
> >> download kernel sources. I search for "kernel-source" and "kernel". I
> >> get zero hits, and a stoopid message:
> >>
> >> "no hits on "kernel" (term was not used in search)"
> >>
> >> Cookies are enabled. sooo... is there a sekkrit incantation?
> >>

> > Well, if you have one of the retail versions, you can log into
> > rhn.redhat.com and find it there.
> >
> > If not, I always had better luck with www.rpmfind.net.
> >

> rpm.pbone.net is another good source of RPMs.
>
> If you need to build kernel modules, the required header files, etc.,
> are in the kernel-devel package.

If you are needing to make patches to the kernel, you need to download the
src.rpm for the kernel and build a new set of kernel rpms.  (I have to do
this on my laptop to get cardbus to work.)

It is not too terribly hard to do if you understand how to build RPMs.

A good book on this is:

Red Hat RPM Guide by Eric Foster-Johnson (ISBN: 0764549650) Redhat Press

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark