[PLUG] Asterisk hints?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Oct 8 16:27:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 10:38:17PM -0700, Kurt Sussman wrote:
> I found out that my nice little PBX appliance, a 3 year old Talkswitch
> 24, can't be adjusted to work with the impedance of my Packet8 ATA, so I
> get a nasty echo when it forwards calls to remote extensions.

Sounds dubious to me.  What happens when you plug a phone directly
into the ATA?  Have you tried a different ATA?

> For the $700 that a new Talkswitch will cost, I should be able to
> build a perfectly adequate (or better) Asterisk box, right?

The phone-line interface bits aren't cheap.  Digium FxO/FxS cards
start in the $300 range.  The cards support up to 4 lines, so it
sounds like you could do with a 1-FxO (for the landline) and 3-FxS
(for the phone stations) setup on one card.

Another way is to use an ATA for the stations.  Atcom makes a decent
4-FxS ATA for pretty cheap.  Then use one of the $100 softmodem-based
1-FxO cards for the landline.

> I currently have one analog line and one VoIP line. If I can get a good
> deal on raw VoIP lines I could use two of those, but I'm keeping one
> analog line for emergencies.

Good idea.  There are wholesale VoIP line vendors that support
Asterisk's IAX protocol, which is more robust than SIP.