[PLUG] (no subject)

John Purser jmpurser at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 17:08:47 UTC 2005

pogo162 at comcast.net wrote:

>Hello, Im new to Linux and need a little help.
>
>I'm running Debian 3.1 and I can't get it to play DVD's.  I've used Totem and Ogle.  Totem comes back with an error saying 'failed to open device /dev/hdc for reading: Permission denied', and Ogle says several things like 'libdvdread: encrypted dvd support unavalable', 'libdvd: couldn't find device name', and 'callbacks.on_opendvd_activate(): DVDSetDVDRoot: Root not set'
>
>I did read the readme, and did the download for the css encriptions, but am still getting that error too.
>
>Can anyone help please?
>Glen M.
>2 week old Linux user

Glen,

Welcome to life with the Penguin.  And congratulations on selecting the
distribution that EVERYBODY agrees is far superior technically and
morally to all the rest.  That Sarge installer is really sweet isn't it?

I don't have a dvd player on a Linux box but I do belong to the
Debian-user mailing list.  You can sign up for it at: