[PLUG] Application Cannot Run

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Oct 15 14:28:36 UTC 2005

   I'm really puzzled. On one of my workstations emacs will no longer load and
run. It used to work just fine. Yesterday, it would not load when X was
running and today it won't load from a console. The error message is:

-bash: /usr/bin/emacs: cannot execute binary file.

   That specific file is a soft link to the real executable. However, all
three emacs* files in /usr/bin on that host have the same permissions as they
do in /usr/bin on another host. And, they all have the same size and
timestamps on the two hosts. Emacs runs just fine on the other host.

   The error message above does not convey to me sufficient information about
why the binary file will not execute. I've had a bunch of things break
without explanation on several machines over the past few weeks and I would
like to put these distractions behind me.

   Any ideas what might cause emacs to not run?

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"