[PLUG] RAID over usb-storage?

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 22:37:02 UTC 2005

On 15 Oct 2005 15:20:12 -0700, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Has anyone done this?
>
> You can get 2GB SanDisk Cruzer Micros (about an inch long) for a
> little over $100 each, plug four of them into a little USB hub and
> make a 6 gig RAID5 array.  Light weight, easily transportable, some
> some redundancy, built in hot-pluggability, etc.  Hardware cost,
> spendy-per-byte, around $450.

I haven't tried this, but this arstechnica article talks about using
RAID-0 with two thumb drives, with some mixed results.  Sounds like
write performance of larger files was good, read performance wasn't so
amazing.  I don't know if anyone has tried it on Linux.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/flash2005.ars/10

Jason