[PLUG] Announcement: Linux Clinic this Saturday

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 06:18:55 UTC 2005

On 15 Oct 2005, at 22:11, Jason R. Martin wrote:

> Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do you need Adobe Acrobat? Have
> you tried using something like Evince?

Lots of things the Linux PDF readers can't do. Plus, I need to
prepare files for print -- where a tiny mistake can be extremely
expensive.

> Sorry, don't know anything about Ubuntu 64 (installed it once, that's
> it).

As it turns out, I decided to install the recently released Ubuntu
Breezy (5.10). It's progressing as I write this. Considering all the
error messages and gigabytes of files it is changing, if the
computer boots afterwards I may have to become a deist, because
it will surely be a miracle.

It's been downloading and installing for the past couple hours, with
another hour or so to go. I'm steeling myself for the surely
inevitable need to wipe the hard disk and start over again from
scratch. That means a week getting the wifi working again,
because my only notes are in a Firefox bookmark. Well, maybe I
can find the instructions again with google and maybe I can
remember which part of them were incorrect that it took me a week
to figure out.

Yup. It's broken.

It actually booted, and it said Breezy 5.10, but X did not come up. I
tried "startx", but it errored out "connexion refused (errno 111)
unable to connect to xserver." I also tried it with sudo, but got the
same results. Since I have no idea where to start to fix X, I'll have
to start over. There go all my configurations.

Well, at least I won't have to become a deist.