[PLUG] Application Cannot Run

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 16 15:15:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Jason R. Martin wrote:

> What does the panic say?

Jason,

   I don't recall. Dan suggested that the 2.6.13 kernel installation stepped
on something from the 2.4.31 installation, and that re-installing the 2.4.31
kernel packages would be a Good Idea(TM). As usual, Dan was correct. I
upgraded the kernel, modules, headers, and sources. A reboot brought the box
back to normal working conditions.

   My two excursions into 2.6 kernel land have resulted in angry responses by
the natives that have caused me to retreat. The more amazing result is on my
notebook: booting the 2.6.13.4 kernel results in a totally blank screen as
soon as the 'loading vmlinuz .....' screen is replaced. Haven't seen this in
the eight years I've been using linux. What I discovered is that I can wait
until the boot process finishes (by watching the hard drive access light),
then blindly logging in as root and issuing 'reboot' so I can use the 2.4.31
kernel. Tomorrow I have a heart-to-heart talk with the EmperorLinux folks
about a .config that works with the 2.6.13.4 kernel.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"