Ndiswrapper with UBuntu Breezy - Was Re: [PLUG] Announcement: Linux Clinic this Saturday

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 15:30:34 UTC 2005

On 16 Oct 2005, at 1:16, William Leake wrote:

> I updated from Hoary to Breezy as well.  Breezy uses a new kernel, so
> the ndiswrapper kernel module needs to be rebuilt to fit it.  If you
> uninstall ndiswrapper, and reinstall it your problems should be
> solved.

Ah! Yes, now I remember -- when I originally installed it there was a
big problem with the header file -- had to use "generic" or
something.

Can I just use apt-get uninstall ndiswrapper (or remove, I find
conflicting instructions as to the correct syntax), and then apt-get
install ndiswrapper? I bet that is too simple. The instructions at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HowtoUseNdiswrapperOnAmd64Ubuntu

said to start with "apt-get install build-essential fakeroot linux-
headers-`uname -r`" and then went through a bunch of other things,
also without explaining what they do or what to do when they don't
work.

I don't recall what that does, and the instructions just say to do it.