[PLUG] RAID over usb-storage?

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sun Oct 16 21:01:20 UTC 2005

>From: Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com>
>
> Ed> Flash drives generally have limited "durability" - about 10
> Ed> million write operations. You wouldn't want to use them in
> Ed> applications that are write intensive.
>
> The potential application was as a lightweight, compact, portable
> backup device.  But kind of expensive.  A DVD burner, if reliable
> enough, would have similar capacity much more inexpensively, although
> possibly much slower too.  As far as I know, you can't rsync to a DVD
> burner!

DVD+RW media/drives are supposed to be able to do random per-sector
writing, so stick an ext2 filesystem on it, and in theory you should be
able to do so. DVD-RW media/drives are supposed to do per-sector
/re/writing, so should be possible there too.

After that, you're back to the media durability issue though. Optical RW
media has a limited number of writes that can be done.