[PLUG] Adobe Reader 7.0

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 17:44:27 UTC 2005

On 10/19/05, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2005, at 0:31, Evan Heidtmann wrote:
>
> > > -- and got "error while loading shared libraries libBIB.so: cannot
> > > open sharedn object file: no such file or directory."
> >
> > That doesn't sound like a permissions issue to me. It means that the
> > libBIB.so library can't be found. Does this file exist on your system?
> > On mine, it's in /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/lib/
>
> Yes, but it was owned by root. I just changed ownership to me, but
> when I try to run acroread I still get the "error while loading shared
> libraries libBIB.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or
> directory." But there it is, right where you said it is supposed to be,
> and I am the owner and the permissions are rwxr-xr-x.

It sounds like the dynamic linker doesn't know where the library is.
Try adding /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/lib to
/etc/ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig.  Then see if you can run
acroread.

> > You shouldn't need to own the files in order to use them. Those
> > permissions give everyone (including you) execute permission,
> > regardless of the owner of the file.
>
> I think the problem is that I must have run the INSTALL script as
> root. I should have run it as jjj. On the other hand, doesn't rwxr-xr-x
> mean everyone can execute the file? If so, then I don't know what
> the problem is, because all the files in /usr/local/Adobe have the
> same rwxr-xr-x permissions. If that means everyone has read-write-
> execute permissions, then you must be right -- it is not a
> permissions thing.

Right, typically you would want root to do the install into a
system-wide directory, and you want root to own the file so nobody
else can write to it, such as replacing acroread with a program that
sends all your credit card info to an email address and then makes fun
of yo mamma.

> Still confused.

I'm always confused, it's kinda fun :-)

Jason

--
"Life is like a shooting star, it don't matter who you are, if you
only run for cover it's just a waste of time." - Live