[PLUG] Image CD for evaluating LCD displays (2)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 21 05:57:54 UTC 2005

Keith wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a CD full of JPEG images suitable for testing the
> Linux/Openoffice/xterm suitability of LCD monitors?  I am going shopping for
> a 1280x1024 monitor to be used with a Linux system, and I figure the easiest
> way to evaluate the monitors is to bring along some test images on CD or USB
> drive - assuming they won't let me drag a whole computer system in there to
> plug into the HD15.
>
> I can make such a CD, but it would be easier to download one, and an image
> library might have a few tests I haven't thought of.  I assume I can spew
> images to whatever Windoze system they have hooked up to their demo display,
> and that I can use Internet Exploder to view them.
>
> Suggested downloads?  Websites worth copying whole?

Others replied:
> Don't forget to look at Costco, I just bought one of their Princeton ...
> I also have a 19" Princeton LCD from Costco (mail-order, even!), and ...
> People say what they will, but I have three Dell 19" (model 1905FP) ...

Uh, at the risk of seeming pedantic, please change the subject line
when changing the subject.  I am looking for TEST IMAGES, not monitor
brand suggestions.  After a bit of looking already, with six images on
a USB thumb drive, I assure you that different monitors have widely
varying image quality.  Some appear identically good, but might
differentiate on special images I do not have.  That is why I want
test images from elsewhere, to select the best from the good.

I want video bandwidth tests, grayscale tests, etc.  The article at
   http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide.html
details some of the issues involved.  I have done professional work
with LCD displays, and have worked with professional test images;
however, those images belong to my clients and so I need an "open
source" set.

A screenshot of 4 xterms, presented to the monitor as HD15 analog,
was the most demanding test in my homebrew test set.  Looked pretty
good on a Viewsonic, pretty crappy on a Hyundai.  While I suspect
the Hyundai has a sampling rate tweak that might fix the picture,
I want a monitor that can figure this out automatically.

If I can't look at the monitor in the store, with test images I
select, I don't really care what kind of bargain price I can get.
The computer the monitor will connect to, a Shuttle miniATX, only
produces HD15 analog, so unfortunately DVI quality is not applicable.

All that said, can anyone suggest a source of test images?

Keith