[PLUG] IO issues...

Robert Anderson riznob at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:40:45 UTC 2005

Hi everybody, I am having some issues with IO on my mythtv box (Fedora 3,
not the latest kernel). While watching certain programs skipping ahead 30
seconds can be quite slow, like 5 seconds, and jumping ahead 10 minutes may
take 3-4 minutes. I have been watching top and using iostat to get some more
information about what the bottleneck might be. Top shows a high CPU iowait
percentage, around 70-80%, during the delay. Also iostat shows a lot of wait
also. I thought that perhaps defragmenting the partition would help, but it
has not really done much, yet. I have noticed some improvement, but the
problem has not gone away. The filesystem where the programs are stored is
XFS. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,

--
Rob Anderson
riznob at gmail.com