[PLUG] File reading problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 23 21:24:11 UTC 2005

   On one host, invoking X does not load ~/.Xmodmap. When I kill the X server
I can see the lines:

xmodmap: unable to open file '/home/rshepard/.Xmodmap' for reading
xmodmap: 1 error encountered, aborting

   But, when X is running I can manually run the command, 'xmodmap .Xmodmap'
and it reads and loads just fine.

   .Xmodmap is owned by rshepard.users and had the permissions 644. I've
changed that to 666 but to no avail. On my main workstation/server, the
permissions are 644, ownership is the same, and there have not been any
problems.

   Can anyone suggest why this one host is playing dumb?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"