[PLUG] Weird e-mail

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 28 23:39:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> I saw the .de and knew that it means Germany, but wondered when I saw the
> Netherlands reference in whois.

   Sometimes the whois request stops at the owner of the IP address blocks. I
see this result from Europe and Asia on occasion. I don't know why they don't
always return the specific information on the domain registrant.

> I'll do that.

   What's really nice is sending abuse reports to the Brits. Most of them
respond with a sincere thank you note and tell you the results of your
report. Others may or may not act on the report because we never see anything
from them.

> I wasn't aware that SpamAssassin would be of use to me, using Thunderbird
> to get mail from Comcast. I guess I'd better read up on SpamAssassin. Any
> recommendations for reading material, other than what I'll find at the
> SpamAssassin site?

   No, I've no suggestions. Thunderchicken has spam filters and I'd start by
digging into the docs for that application, first. A quick Google search
didn't surface any obvious good tips on combining SA and TB.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"