[PLUG] Redhat ES 4

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 05:56:33 UTC 2005

On 10/28/05, dan at fiddlers-green.info <dan at fiddlers-green.info> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone encountered a make problem when building a kernel with
> redhat ES/FC4, and if they have gotten around it?
>
> I saw some references in message boards saying that redhat has broken the kernel
> source tree to keep you from recompiling the kernel. Has anyone found a way
> around this?

  It's not really broken.  I just won't compile.  :-)

  My understanding is that the RedHat licenced offerings include
non-GPL secret-sauce in the kernel.  The non-GPL files are removed
when the GPL portions of the source are posted on their web site.  The
GPL code won't compile without the non-GPL code or extensive code
cleanup.

The folks at White Box Linux may have a replacement kernel that compiles.

http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

Steve D...

--
"Beneath every no / lays a passion for yes that had never been broken."
Wallace Stevens