[PLUG] Redhat ES 4

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 17:55:46 UTC 2005

On 10/28/05, Steve D... <blitters at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/28/05, dan at fiddlers-green.info <dan at fiddlers-green.info> wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone encountered a make problem when building a kernel with
> > redhat ES/FC4, and if they have gotten around it?
> >
> > I saw some references in message boards saying that redhat has broken the kernel
> > source tree to keep you from recompiling the kernel. Has anyone found a way
> > around this?
>
>   It's not really broken.  I just won't compile.  :-)
>
>   My understanding is that the RedHat licenced offerings include
> non-GPL secret-sauce in the kernel.  The non-GPL files are removed
> when the GPL portions of the source are posted on their web site.  The
> GPL code won't compile without the non-GPL code or extensive code
> cleanup.

That is completely bogus.  I have successfully recompiled the RHEL4
(AS) kernel from the .src.rpm in the past by extracting it with
rpmbuild and then building it just like any other kernel.  To suggest
that they have non-GPL code in their kernels is just FUD.  Take a look
around, you'll notice the RedHat kernel engineers are the most
violently anti-binary kernel module people (such as nVidia).

Stop spreading this crap.

Jason