[PLUG] Linux Desktop - Time to make the change

David Tod Sigafoos dsig at sigafoos.org
Mon Oct 31 18:13:09 UTC 2005

Jason,

<snip>
JRM> As others have pointed out, you may find a more end-user friendly
JRM> distro like Ubuntu works better.  However, if you're still interested
JRM> in FC4, I suggest you read the Unofficial Fedora FAQ over at
JRM> fedorafaq.org, in particular the parts about yum, the Livna
JRM> repositories, and DVDs.

yes .. and i will spend the day downloading then installing ..

BUT .. not all distros work with hardware.  I used Fedora 4 because it
is known to work with HP Laptops (specifically the zd8000 line).  Wait
.. there is another problem .. Linux doesn't work on all or even most
boxes.  And a distro that works on one doesn't necessarily work on
another.

Now I understand that until there is more market driven requirements
HW manufacturers wont do anything about linux .. so it is a Catch 22.

But as i have said in other replies i will try a couple other distros