[PLUG] Mounting USB "Thumb" Drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 1 17:08:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Several years ago, Linux Journal had a step-by-step guide to identifying
> which /dev/sdaN was recognized as the inserted USB thumb drive, and how to
> mount it. I cannot find it in my collection here nor on the LJ web site.

   I found the article: "Floppies for the New Millenium", in the December 2003
issue.

   Drivers are loaded, correct entries in /proc/bus/usb/ and /proc/scsi/scsi/.
It should mount with:
                       mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/thumb
but I see these messages:

mount:  bad fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
         missing codepage, or other error.
         In some cases, useful info is found in syslog - try
         dmesg | tail or so.

So, I try the latter and see:

Current sd00:00: sns = 70  2
ASC=3a ASCQ= 0
Raw sense data:0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x3a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
  /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
  I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
  unable to read partition table
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

   Does this mean the USB thumb drive has gone bad?

   What do you suggest I do?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"