[PLUG] 15Mb Access

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 1 21:20:21 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> writes:

Paul> It would be relatively easy for Comcast to block inbound SYN
Paul> packets on popular ports to support a strict policy of "no
Paul> servers."

But bear in mind, they could start being draconian at any time.  And
since it is their official policy, you'd have no recourse (except to
drop them like a loaf of moldy bread, of course).

Paul> In fact, in my neighborhood, Comcast took over what was
Paul> originally the @Home network. The @Home admins actively scanned
Paul> for rogue NNTP servers and would shut down those accounts if the
Paul> servers persisted.  Nowadays, I don't see any scanning like that
Paul> whatsoever.

They could achieve very nearly the same thing by just listening for
the connections.  No need to try to initiate connections themselves if
others are doing it for them.

seniorr at aracnet.com