[PLUG] 15Mb Access

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Sep 1 21:37:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Russell Senior wrote:

> Paul> It would be relatively easy for Comcast to block inbound SYN
> Paul> packets on popular ports to support a strict policy of "no
> Paul> servers."
>
> But bear in mind, they could start being draconian at any time.
> And since it is their official policy, you'd have no recourse
> (except to drop them like a loaf of moldy bread, of course).

That is so true. Until recently, Qwest said my phone line didn't
qualify for DSL. I don't know why it now qualifies, but I've been
starting to investigate the option. I'd much rather send my ISP fees
to a local firm like Spire or EasyStreet.

The trouble is, the US Supreme Court's FCC v. Brand X decision has
seemingly given the FCC (and the Bush administration) the green light
to deregulate DSL and remove line-sharing requirements.

My fear is that once Qwest is no longer legally bound to offer access
to third-party ISPs, DSL will become as monolithic as cable. At this
point, it's only a fear, but it's very tough to overestimate a
monopoly's irrational drive for short-term profit.

  --
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com